North Sanpete School District Policy Number VI - 32
Statement of ............. Effective Date 12/16/82
Board Policy with Guidelines Revised Date
Subject: Driver Education
I. BOARD POLICY
The operation of a motor vehicle is critical to the safety and wellbeing of a citizen in our contemporary society; therefore, Driver Education shall be provided in the North Sanpete School District.
1. The course in Driver Training in the North Sanpete School District is organized into 6 class hours of behind-the-wheel driving and not less than 30 hours of classroom instruction.
2. Automobile Driver Education shall be offered to pupils enrolled in grades 10-12 exclusively, or who have attained their sixteenth birthday, provided that each pupil will not complete his Driver Education Training before his sixteenth birthday. Pupils shall have reached the age of fifteen years, nine months before they are permitted to enroll in behind-the-wheel driving.
3. A signed Parent Consent form must be on file for each student.
4. Responsibility for maintenance of all Driver Training cars will be assigned to each of the Driver Training instructors. Instructors will keep a check on servicing, washing, repairs, equipment, and the preventive maintenance on assigned car, reporting to the transportation supervisor on the condition and needs of each car.
5. All cars are to be kept clean. Driver Training cars will not be used for any other purpose other than Driver Education.
6. Instructors should exercise good judgment in the selection of driving areas for each lesson with special consideration for the amount of traffic, type and width of road, number of parked cars, types of intersections, and distance from school.
7. The Board of Education authorizes the admittance of pupils regularly enrolled in non-public schools, to enroll in Driver Education classes. The Superintendent shall make an annual determination of space available.
8. Driver Education fees shall be established by the Board of Education.