North Sanpete School District Policy Number VI - 4
Statement of ............. Effective Date 12/16/82
Board Policy with Guidelines Revised Date
Subject: Curriculum Development
I. BOARD POLICY
The Board of Education recognizes that in order to foster the role of education in a democratic society and to ensure equal opportunity to students of different personality characteristics and viewpoints, it may not permit the curriculum to remain static. The Board deems it essential that the school system continually develop and modify its curriculum to meet the changing needs and diversity of our citizenry and to assure the full, rounded, and continuing development of the individual personality in our community. While the Board retains its full rights and responsibilities under the laws of the State of Utah with regard to determination of the curriculum, it authorizes the administration to organize advisory committees, which may be comprised of students, parents, teachers, and administrators, to periodically review the curriculum and advise the Board on curriculum changes.
1. The curriculum shall contain all courses required by the State Department of Education.
2. The curriculum shall provide for the needs of both vocational and college-bound students.
3. The committee shall review the feasibility of and advise the Board of course offerings requested by students even when they represent a minority of the student body.
4. The committee shall explore course offerings and teaching methods that will strengthen student character, firmness of student conviction, and integrity of purpose.
5. The committee shall review curriculum requirements of the State Department of Education and shall express its recommendations for change, if any, to the Board, which may choose to communicate them to state officials.
6. Basic course of study shall not be eliminated or new courses added without approval of the Board, nor shall any sharp alteration or reduction of a course of study be made without such approval.