North Sanpete School District
Board Policy With Guidelines
Policy Number: V-06
- Subject: Dress and Grooming
- Board Policy
The Board of Education is committed to maintain a positive learning atmosphere in all its schools. The board recognizes that there are distractions of student learning, hygiene and safety factors directly related to improper dress and grooming. If the student and/or his/her parents or guardian fail in their responsibilities, dress and grooming thus become a part of the school's responsibility.
The Board delegates to the Administration responsibility to see that each school adheres to the dress and grooming standards established by the Board in the guidelines of this policy. Further, all district and school staff members shall have a share of responsibility in seeing that these standards are implemented and enforced in classrooms, in school buildings, on school grounds, on school buses, at school activities, and other occasions as appropriate.
The following criteria established by students and parents working together have been set forth as guidelines for dress and grooming.
- Immodest dress such as exposed underwear, tank tops, unbuttoned shirts and/or blouses and clothing worn so tight or so loose as to be revealing is not permissible.
- Clothing which leave the midriff exposed when arms are lifted to shoulder level while sitting or standing is prohibited.
- Sheer blouses are permissible only if the clothing underneath meets dress code standards.
- Sleeves will be worn and shoulders will be covered.
- Clothing with inappropriate printing such as, but not limited to, anything that shows disrespect to the educational process by advertising sex, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, illegal activities, racial statements, profane language, vulgarity, nude or lude content and sexual innuendo is prohibited.
- Spandex, biker shorts, cut-off sweats are not permissible.
- Dresses, shorts, split skirts and other short-like fashions should be long enough to come within 4” of the knee. Holes in jeans that expose skin above the knees must be covered.
- Appropriate undergarments are to be worn by girls and boys.
- Shoes and/or sandals are to be worn at all times to ensure personal safety and hygiene.
- Pajamas are not permissible.
- Hair must be kept clean, well groomed and of a natural color (when representing the school or district including, but not limited to, performances, competitions, club activities).
- Students should come to school clean and well groomed.
- Jewelry, accessories and tattoos which are so conspicuous or extreme to interfere with learning at school, or pose a health or safety issue to the student, shall not be allowed. Facial piercing can be no more than a single stud with no more than a 1/8th inch diameter on the ends.
- All head coverings such as bandanas, hairnets, hats, hoodies and sweatbands are not allowed within the building except as part of an approved activity or for religious, or medical purposes.
- Wearing, possessing, using, distributing, displaying, or selling any clothing, or hats displaying gang names, initials or nicknames, jewelry, emblem badge, symbol, sign colored rags or handkerchiefs, or other things which evidence membership in a gang is prohibited (see district policy V-3, section III, item 1).
- Anyone in violation of the district dress code will be required to immediately replace the inappropriate clothing with something in compliance with the policy and will be given a warning. Also, all reasonable efforts will be made to notify the parent or guardian of the student. Further violations by students will cause sanctions as outlined in the school and/or district Discipline Policy.