V-43: Student Self-Treatment for Asthma and Diabetes
North Sanpete School District
Board Policy with Guidelines
|Policy Number: V-43
Effective Date: 09/09/2008
Subject: Student Self-Treatment for Asthma and Diabetes
STUDENT SELF-ADMINISTRATION OF ASTHMA MEDICATION
- Under Policy VII 22 Medication Administration, school students are prohibited from carrying or self-administering medication on school premises except in certain limited circumstances. However, students may carry and self-administer prescription or nonprescription asthma or diabetes medications provided that the student's parent or guardian has previously provided the school with a written request and written health care provider approval.
- The written request must state that the parent or guardian authorizes the student to have and use the asthma or diabetes medication while acknowledging that the student is responsible for, and capable of, self-administering the asthma or diabetes medication.
- The health care provider approval must specifically identify the prescription or non prescription asthma medication or diabetes prescribed or authorized for the student's use and must state that (1) the student is capable of appropriately self-administering the medication, and (2) the provider finds that it is medically appropriate for the student to keep the medication with or readily available to him or her at all times.
- If the medication is to be stored other than on the student's person, the student or parent/guardian shall inform the school nurse or administration where the medication will be kept to enable access for emergency use.
- The student shall only use prescription asthma or diabetes medication as directed by a health care provider's written orders, and shall use non-prescription asthma or diabetes medication in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
MEDICATION SHARING PROHIBITED
No student is permitted to sell, share, or otherwise give to others any medication, prescription or non-prescription. Violations of this policy are subject to disciplinary action under the schools drug policies.
Utah Code Anm § 53A-1 1-602(2004)
Utah Code Anm § SSA-1 1-604 (2007)