North Sanpete School District
Board Policy With Guidelines
|Policy Number: V-37
Effective Date: 07/17/2001
North Sanpete School District recognizes the value of co curricular activities, intramural opportunities, and interscholastic competition and supports these learning opportunities provided for students. These activities must support the teaching of teamwork, sportsmanship and citizenship. These concepts promote respect for self and others, which represent the highest purposes of education and school learning. Appropriate sportsmanship is a necessary condition for the District to sponsor competition sports and activities.
The following guidelines are established to inform, instruct, and promote sportsmanship in all District-sponsored activities.
STUDENTS IN NORTH SANPETE SCHOOL DISTRICT WILL:
- Be courteous to opponents, fans, and cheerleaders.
- Be respectful in behavior towards all present.
- Be respectful and abide by the official’s decision.
- Exercise self-control at all times, never berating an official, coach, cheerleader, or player.
- Exhibit dignity and character, whether on a winning or losing situation.
- Display appreciation for good performance regardless of which team is involved.
COACHES AND ADMINISTRATORS WILL:
- Exemplify the highest moral character, behavior, and leadership.
- Teachers will teach and model high sportsmanship.
- Respect the integrity of the individual athlete and the judgment of officials.
- Establish, communicate to students, and enforce the expectation of appropriate behavior in relationship to the fundamentals of sportsmanship and the school sportsmanship code.
- Identify preventive measures, thereby discouraging poor sportsmanship.
- Establish consequences for inappropriate behavior and enforce those consequences as needed.
- Participate in a sportsmanship self-evaluation and share results or responses with the athletic director or school administrator.