IV-79: Hours of Work - Classified
North Sanpete School District
Board Policy with Guidelines
|Policy Number: IV-79
Effective Date: 02/16/2010
Revised Date: 02/15/2011
Subject: Hours of Work – Classified
The North Sanpete Board of Education shall comply with federal law in relation to hours of work for all classified personnel, and directs the District Administration to abide by the following guidelines respecting the hours of work.
- The established workweek for all classified employees begin Saturday at 12:01 a.m. and ends Friday night at midnight.
- The maximum workweek by full-time classified employees at their regular rate of pay shall be forty-hours.
- Classified employees who fall under the guidelines of the Fair Labor Standards Act must be paid at one and one-half times the regular rate of pay for all hours worked over 40 in a work week or receive time off during the same or the successive pay period (NSSD pay period [16th to 15th ], in which the work is done) at the rate of one and one-half times the actual overtime worked during any workweek. Only compensatory time will be considered hours of work for the purpose of calculating the 40-hour workweek.
- Any overtime work or callback time shall be granted only upon the prior approval of the appropriate director, supervisor and the superintendent.
- A duty-free lunch shall be offered for classified employees scheduled to work more than five (5) hours per day. At least 30 minutes must be provided for meals. An employee shall not be compensated for his/her lunch period and may not accumulate time for use at a later date.
- Flexible work hours may be established for classified employees on a needs basis provided the flexible work hours do not impede a departments ability to provide necessary services or if they adversely affect department morale. Requests for flexible work hours must be applied for and approved prior to the change by the principal, supervisor, and the superintendent.
- Classified personnel may not perform work for or receive compensation from another employer during contract time with North Sanpete School District.
- The following disciplinary action shall be taken against employees who do not follow the above procedures:
- The immediate supervisor will confer with the employee.
- A reprimand shall be entered on the employee's personnel file.
- A five (5) day suspension without pay may be imposed in the next pay period.
- A second disregard of policy and/or procedure may result in immediate termination.