VI-01: Instructional Goals and Objectives
North Sanpete School District
Board Policy with Guidelines
Policy Number: VI-1
Subject: Instructional Goals and Objectives
The focus of the North Sanpete School District is on the learner, the student. His or her educational development toward the schools' goals is the central concern of the Board's policies and the administrative regulations. The teacher is a key figure in carrying out the school's responsibility in the educational process. However, the teacher alone cannot effectively achieve all the objectives of education. The purpose of the various administrative departments is to provide conditions in the schools which permit teachers to work with maximum effectiveness and to provide them with a variety of tools and specialized assistance in developing and carrying out a program which will meet the needs of boys and girls in the world in which we live. The Board will seek to provide the facilities, personnel, equipment, and materials necessary for the education of all students for whom it is responsible.
The goals of education shall be as follows:
- To help students develop and maintain good physical and mental health.
- To help students achieve command of the fundamental skills and knowledge which are basic to all other learning.
- To help students learn to receive and to express ideas effectively.
- To help students gain an understanding of our constitutional form of government and a knowledge of the history of the United States and of the part the United States plays in world affairs, and to help students accept the obligations of good citizenship.
- To help students understand the scientific approach to the problems of life, recognizing the need for conservation of human and natural resources and the contributions made by science to the world in which we live.
- To help students acquire salable skills in the fields of their choice which will enable them to take their place in the economic world.
- To help students become intelligent consumers of material goods, cultural products, and services.
- To help students develop a vocational interests which are satisfying and which provide for worthy use of leisure time.
- To help students' spiritual understanding, and to learn to recognize the ethical, esthetic, and moral values of experience, to act accordingly.
Setting Educational Objectives
- It shall be the responsibility of each building staff under the direction of the principal to have specific educational objectives consistent with the broad educational goals as outlined above.
- Since joint staff-student responsibility exists for the accomplishment of the educational objectives, it is important that there be both staff and student involvement in order to obtain unity of effort in achieving the objectives.
- Educational objectives will serve as the criteria by which learning materials are selected, content outlined, instructional procedures and educational technology developed, and tests prepared.
Evidence of Achievement
The Board expects to have the staff present evidence of achievement, or lack of achievement, of students in the light of the schools' goals and objectives.