VII-10: Public Information
North Sanpete School District
Board Policy with Guidelines
|Policy Number: VII-10
Effective Date: 12/16/1982
Subject: Public Information
The Board of Education recognizes the right of the public to information concerning all of its actions, its policies, and the details of its educational and business operations. The Board encourages study, discussion, and active participation by all concerned in the promotion of the best possible program of education in the community. It is the practice of the Board to utilize the advice and assistance of interested individuals and groups in the solution of its educational and financial problems.
In recognizing the cooperating organizations in the North Sanpete School District and by encouraging their active participation in educational policymaking, the Board wishes to make it clear that in no way does it wish to escape its responsibility to the citizens of the community as the official governing body responsible for a final decision on all matters of policy and educational programs. The Board accepts the following basic principals that are essential to a good public relations program:
- The Board will transact all official business in open meetings which the press, the public, and school employees are welcome to attend and at which time communications, both oral and written, will be received and considered.
- The Board will function as speedily and as efficiently as circumstances will permit, and always with due regard for the public interest.
- Board members will familiarize themselves with the work of the school system in all major areas and shall bring to the professional direction of the schools the viewpoint, the knowledge, and the wisdom of the community.
- The Board will make provision for recording proceedings of all meetings. Minutes of all Board meetings shall be considered matters of public record.
- The Board will keep in mind that maintaining the confidence and respect of the community is of paramount importance to the success of the educational program of the district.