VII-23: Parent and Family Engagement Policy
North Sanpete School District
Board Policy With Guidelines
|Policy Number: VII-23
Effective Date: 12/1982
Revised Date: 02/19/2019
Subject: Parent and Family Engagement Policy
The District recognizes that the involvement of parents in the education of children directly affects the success of their children’s educational efforts. It is District policy that Teachers and Administrators should facilitate the active involvement of parents in the education of their children.
This policy shall be administered according to the following guidelines:
- Parent Involvement at the District Level
- Parents shall be represented on district committees and advisory groups, as appropriate.
- Parents will participate in the review of student achievement data and be involved in setting achievement goals defined in the annual Consolidated Student Achievement Plan.
- Parents may address the Board at school board meetings, public hearings and other appropriate occasions.
- Parent Involvement at Local Schools
- Parents will participate in the review and if necessary, revision of school parent involvement policies.
- Schools shall provide opportunities for parents to serve as school volunteers.
- Schools are encouraged to draw upon the talents of parents for special presentations, enrichment activities, and other events or circumstances where parent participation may enhance the curriculum.
- Parents or guardians of students attending schools in the District qualify to be elected onto the School Community Council.
- Parent Involvement in Student Education
- Parents shall regularly receive information about their student’s academic performance; i.e. report cards, progress reports, and results of achievement tests.
- Parents shall have opportunities to discuss their child’s educational program and progress with teachers at parent/teacher conferences or other meetings as appropriate.
- Informal parent/teacher conferences may be scheduled whenever it seems in the student’s best interest.
- Parents shall be notified of student disciplinary problems and provide opportunities to be involved in the solution.
- Parent Information and Training
- Parents shall be informed of the workings of the school system through District/School website and/or newsletters.
- Schools will provide passwords and information on how to access the District Student Data Collection System (currently PowerSchool) for the purpose of obtaining information on the parent or guardian’s child’s attendance and grades.
- Parents may enroll in District-sponsored in-service classes to learn techniques for improving their children’s academic success.
- Schools will involve School Community Council members in appropriate training.