VII-28: Charter School
North Sanpete School District
Board Policy with Guidelines
|Policy Number: VII-28
Effective Date: 07/09/2002
Subject: Charter School
This policy is to provide District rules and guidelines pursuant to state "Charter Schools"
legislation and rules.
- "Charter School" means schools acknowledged as charter schools by the local board of education under section 53A-la505 of the Utah Code Annotated.
- "Charter School Application" means the official chartering document that establishes the relationship between the charter school and the chartering board
consistent with R277470-4.
- Local Education Agency (LEA) means the local board of education.
- North Sanpete School District will accept applications for charter schools between January 15 and March 15 each year.
- The LEA review will consist of the following considerations, though not limited to only those listed:
- Appropriate facilities
- Staff qualifications Curriculum offerings
- Instructional philosophy
- Compliance with state guidelines and rules
- When an application is received for a charter school, the applicant will receive written notification of acceptance or rejection within 45 days of the review.
- If the LEA rejects the application, it shall notify the applicant of the reason for the rejection. The applicant may submit a revised application for reconsideration by the board.
- If the LEA refuses to sponsor the applicant, the applicant may seek a charter form the State Board of Education.
- The LEA may terminate a charter school it sponsors for the same reason followed by the State Board of Education (53A1 a-509(3).