III-13: Selection, Hiring, and Appointment of Educational Administrators
North Sanpete School District
Board Policy with Guidelines
|Policy Number: III-13
Effective Date: 12/16/1982
Subject: Selection, Hiring, and Appointment of Educational Administrators
The Board recognizes both the importance and cogent need for an efficient and effective cohort of school administrators. It also recognizes the value and benefit to be derived from providing a means whereby deserving teachers may be promoted to administrator status. Accordingly, it is the policy of this Board that whenever possible qualified teachers be given the opportunity to fill administrator vacancies. When this is not possible, qualified individuals will be sought from outside the district.
- School administrator positions are defined as: Building Principals, Vice-Principals, and District Staff positions that require state certificated administrators. Incumbents of these positions serve at the pleasure of the Board, and continuance is clearly dependent upon job performance.
- Interns are defined as: Those individuals who have been previously selected to fill an administrator position, but who must, within a specified period of time, complete a formal educational experience at an accredited college or university that leads to state certification as an administrator.
- All administrator vacancies will be widely broadcast throughout the district and all qualified personnel will be encouraged to apply.
- In the event that an administrative vacancy cannot be filled from within district resources, it will be announced intrastate and interstate, using media that is commonly observed by administrators and the placement bureaus at colleges and universities who offer degrees in educational administration.
- All applicants will be interviewed by an Ad Hoc Committee to be appointed by the district superintendent.
- Selection will be based upon the "best qualified" method and the Ad Hoc Committee's recommendation(s) will be submitted to the Board. Final selection and appointment is the responsibility of the Board. Discrimination because of Race, Creed, Sex, Age, Handicap, or National Origin is prohibited.