SPANISH DUAL LANGUAGE IMMERSION (DLI)
North Sanpete School District is proud to offer a Spanish Dual Language Immersion program at Moroni Elementary. The program is designed to build academic fluency in both English and Spanish. Students have the opportunity to develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in two languages.
The program has three goals:
- Bilingualism: High levels of proficiency in English and Spanish
- Biliteracy: High levels of academic achievement in English and Spanish (in all content areas)
- Multicultural Competence: Understanding different cultures and development of high esteem
WHY LANGUAGE IMMERSION?
More than forty years of research consistently documents the power of language immersion programs to help students attain high levels of second language proficiency. No other type of instruction, short of living in a second language environment, is as successful.
Young children especially thrive in this type of instructional environment. Happily, language immersion is also the least expensive way to deliver second language instruction.
- Spanish opens the doors for many domestic and international career opportunities.
- Sophisticated professions such as those in medicine, international distribution, the oil and gas industry, power generation, luxury goods, aviation and other transportation technologies encompass extensive Spanish-speaking networks.
- Knowledge of the Spanish language is also an asset in the fields of literature, the fine arts, gastronomy, cinema, law, and business. Scores of major international businesses and organizations, as well as American companies, regularly recruit candidates who speak Spanish.
- Students who learn Spanish perform better on standardized tests since more than 50% of modern-day English words trace their origins to Spanish. This means that Spanish has a relatively quick learning curve which boosts a student’s confidence.
Second Language Skills: Students achieve high proficiency in the immersion language.
Improved Performance on Standardized Tests: Immersion students perform as well as or better than non-immersion students on standardized tests of English and math administered in English.
Enhanced Cognitive Skills: Language Immersion students typically develop greater cognitive flexibility, demonstrating increased attention control, better memory, and superior problem solving skills as well as enhanced understanding of their primary language.
Increased Cultural Sensitivity: Language Immersion students are more aware of and show more positive attitudes towards other cultures and an appreciation of other people.
Long Term Benefits: Language Immersion students are better prepared for the global community and job markets where a second language is an asset.